Serves: 1 Loaf
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
75 g Stork margarine
225 g self-raising flour
1 tablespoon oil, to fry onions
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon English mustard powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
100 g mature cheddar cheese (grated)
2 large onions, chopped
Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1 large free-range egg (beaten with 120 mls milk)
- Fry onions until soft, caramelised and golden brown. Set aside to cool until required.
- Add the baking powder, mustard powder, Cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to the flour and mix well. Rub in the margarine until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the grated cheese and cooked onions and parsley then pour in the egg and milk mixture.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until well mixed and then spoon mixture into a prepared loaf tin that has been buttered and lined.
- Bake in pre-heated oven 190 ◦C for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out to cool on a wire rack,
- Serve sliced with butter.