Preparation time: 15 minutes Cooking time: 2 hrs Total time: 2h15
2kg Beef silverside or Aich-bone
1 large Onion, diced
2 chillies, cut into thin rounds
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Tbsp Vinegar
3 tsp Dried Thyme
2 tsp Paprika
3 Ltrs Boiling water
1 tsp heaped Dry mustard powder
4 Garlic cloves, sliced
2 Bay leaves
1 Chorizo sausage, cut into rounds (for stuffing)
- Chop and dice onions and set aside.
- Make several slits into the beef joint and stuff each piercing with some chilli, chorizo and garlic.
- Mix together 1 Tbsp olive oil and vinegar and rub well over the joint.
- Spice the joint with thyme and paprika.
- Using a large stock pot heat olive oil and gently fry onions until soft, slightly brown and cooked, remove onions and set aside until required.
- Using the same pot, add a little more olive oil on med-high heat and brown the joint on all sides, now add the boiling water, mustard powder, peppercorns, remaining garlic, remaining chilli and bay leaves.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook beef joint for +- 2 ½ hours, until soft and tender.
- Remove the joint and set aside to rest for +- 10 minutes.
- To make gravy: Turn cooking stock to high heat and reduce by half, add (roux) and whisk in well until gravy has thickened slightly.
- Thinly slice meat and layer with gravy and top with splashes of olive oil.
May be made 2 days in advanced and kept in the refrigerator.